APRIL 2011

John is recovering from a concussion as a result of the explosion and TBI (Tramatic Brain Injury) which I am told by his brother Ben is not severe.  John said today he has a very full day...he goes to P/T, O/T, TBI appointments, ear appointments, wound care, prostetic appointments and eye appointments.  He had the last 7 pins removed from his left hand today and his fingers on that hand are really sore.  It's 4pm and he just woke up from grabbing a quick nap.
John went to get casted for his prosthetics but the doctors don't think he is ready. His left leg won't be ready for a while, it has a lot more healing to do. The right leg sooner maybe. He was a little dissapointed, all's he can think about is getting up and out of that wheelchair. He has gone out about the town twice now with a lighter wheelchair which he can push himself in since the pins have come out of his left hand. Therapy has begun on his left hand, it needs a lot of work, and will take a long time but he will regain some use of it.

TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury), and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), are very life disrupting injuries.  Every day becomes a challenge to remember details from the previous day.  Short-term memory is lost and it greatly interferes with communication and attention to details between caregivers and patient.  This is a very real challenge John and his family face every day.   Along with the surfacing anger and frustration to not only overcome the physical challenges but the mental ones as well, it only enhances the importance of family members to remain by his side to help him remember and guide him in the right direction as well as to help him make the important decisions he faces for his future which present themselves to him at this point in his recovery process.  Unforeseeable are the challenges ahead for both patient and caregivers.  John constantly states that he would not be moving along as he has been without his family members by his side.  Experiencing this first hand, it is much too much work for one family member to handle all of these things by themselves.  His day starts at 8 am and most days there are appointments until 2 or 3 pm and then there is formation and other things that must be done later in the day. In addition there are insurmountable phone calls, e-mails and caseworkers trying to contact you in between, the stress increases with recovery instead of eases.  The physical and mental fatigue is difficult to portray.

In order to help facilitate John's recovery and to better structure and organize things for both John and the family.....PLEASE contact MaryAnne at maccake42@hotmail.com if you wish to make a trip to see John...she can relay your intentions to John and get feedback from him about the visit.  There is a furious attempt to give John some control over things when so much is out of his hands...thank you so much for understanding and supporting John in just one more way.